Monday, March 8, 2010

I HAVE FALLEN by: ANNE BERNADETTE VILLEZA




It happened several years ago. I was so displeased by my parents descision of taking me back to the place I don’t want to welcome anymore. That time, my mind was fixed on how my life would be without my parents around and im looking forward to it. It would be my very first taste of independence, so I don’t want to entertain the idea of going away with them. The fact that im not interested with my would-be environment is my number one defense. I know Manila is a big city, a place of glitz and glamour and anyone will never think twice just to get there. But NOT for someone who is too comfortable with her comfrot zone like me. (nah, I just cant leave my friends behind.hehehe!)
But nothing is important with my father than being together as a family. And so I go with the flow. At first, im so worried by the place that awaits me. Will it be as nice as my beloved home back there? Hayy..better be or I’ll fly back to the place were I belong.
Then I just caught myself breathless in the middle of the place my mom referred as our new found home. It was as if a country within a country. China town in Manila? Cool! The place is the living proof of the invasion of the Chinese culture in our country. Looking at the chinky eyed people that coming and going past me made me forget that im in Manila. From the dragon archs to the typical chinese herbal stores will left you in awe. Binondo is not just a home for outcasts like them, it’s a place were two cultures collide.
I walk downtown the busy street of Ongpin. I learned it was named after Don Roman Ongpin, a chinese businessman wh gained fame when he financially support the “katipunero” rebels in 1896 uprising against Spain. He was soon become a supporter of Filipino independence movement.
As I move forward, im surprised by many historical moments that once enveloped Manila Chinatown. Im sure one cannot help but adore the place. The place full of colors and life. Me myself cant help but get fascinated by chinese food, glittery jewelry shops, volunteer fire stations, sacred temples and ofcourse the stories behind Binondo.

No comments:

Post a Comment